Five of My Favorite Moments at a Wedding | Raleigh Wedding Photographer
It goes without saying that I've been to a lot of weddings. Whether it's photographing them or just being a guest, there are a few key moments of every wedding that have become my absolute favorite. Being a wedding photographer, I get to experience these moments from a different perspective. One where I'm right there, in the middle of it, capturing not just those involved but the reactions of everyone around them. I'll be the first to admit that I get emotional at some point during every wedding I shoot, in a heart warming, tears in my eyes kind of way. But that's exactly why I love what I do!
Here are some of my favorite parts of the wedding day and why. These probably sound cliche, but the reasons why might surprise you...
1. When the bride puts on her dress. Up until this point, the day has been pretty relaxed. Everyone's been hanging out, getting ready, chatting and laughing, maybe telling some stories about the bride and groom. Once it's time to put the dress on, things start to get real. Every bride has that moment, the moment when the dress is on and they look at themselves and realize they are about to get married. You can see it in their eyes, they might take a deep breath or hug their mom tight, but you can tell that all the emotions of what is about to happen just hit them. It's a beautiful moment.
2. The moment right before a bride walks down the aisle. The bride and her father always seem to be connected on another level. They may be smiling and laughing, but if you look close you can see that the bride is holding on to him tight, probably cutting off the circulation to his hand! But dad just takes it with a smile and maybe leans over and whispers something sweet or funny in her ear to help calm her down. Not many people get to witness those few seconds before they walk down the aisle, and it's a precious thing to see!
3. The moment the groom sees his bride for the first time. Whether it's during the first look or while she's walking down the aisle, this is one of the best moments of every wedding and I think anyone would agree with that!
4. Right after the ceremony when the bride and groom get to sneak away for a few quiet moments alone. I generally am following the bride and groom out the door, and while I make sure to give them their alone time so they can take a few minutes to celebrate the fact that they just became husband and wife, it truly is a beautiful moment so I might try to capture a quick shot or two from afar (and they are always so thankful for that)!
5. The first dance, father daughter dance, and mother son dance. These can be some of the best moments during a reception. While watching them dance is a beautiful thing, it's the reactions of the people around them that make for some of my favorite moments. Maybe mom's looking on with so much love in her eyes for her little boy that's all grown up now, dad's barely keeping it together as he thinks how happy he is that his daughter found a great man, or the groom is watching his bride from afar thinking how lucky he is to have her forever. That is what I love to capture!
So what are some of your favorite moments of a wedding day? Leave a comment, I'd love to hear them!
Lauryn Alisa Photography is a raleigh wedding photographer serving all of North Carolina. She is also available to photograph weddings in Connecticut and on Long Island, NY. Fill out the contact form here for more information!