5 Tips For Choosing a Wedding Color Palette | Raleigh Wedding Photographer
Choosing your wedding colors isn't an easy task. While you may have been dreaming about a specific color since you were a little girl, once you start browsing the internet and seeing all the amazing wedding color inspiration out there, you might be changing your mind! Color is one of the best ways to make your wedding unique. As a wedding photographer, I love when I come across a wedding with a color palette I haven't seem before. It can make for some great photos! Colors can make a statement and set the mood for the day. To help you figure out the perfect wedding colors for your day, I've come up with 5 tips to help you with choosing your wedding color palette!
1. Consider the venue. Your venue is probably going to be the first thing you book when planning your wedding. When choosing a color palette, take a look at your venue and make sure your colors compliment the space. You can search for photos of different color weddings at your venue for inspiration and to see what works. While most spaces are designed to be fairly neutral, there still may be certain colors that just don't fit the look and feel of the space, so make sure to bring in color samples and see them in the space ahead of time.
2. Set the mood. Colors are visually stimulating and there is no doubt that certain colors make us feel differently. There have been extensive studies done on how colors can change your mood. Do you want a more bold and upbeat feel on your wedding day? Maybe choose something more bright and vibrant. Or maybe you're going for a more calm and relaxed feel. In that case, lighter pastels might be better.
3. Check out your own closet. This is an easy one. Simply open up your closet (or even look around your own home). What color palettes do you see? Is there a specific color or two that you are clearly drawn to? Or maybe you have one special outfit that you love? Look to those colors to come up with something that fits your style. At the end of the day it's your wedding, and you want people to walk into the room and say, "this is SO you!".
4. Use a different shade. Maybe you love purple but purple is really in right now. The shade you choose can change everything, so check out the varying shades of a color and choose something that you haven't seen before. A great way to do this is to head to your local hardware store and check out the paint color samples! It's amazing how many options there are for one color.
5. Don't be afraid to mix it up a bit! There's no rule out there that says you have to pick three colors and stick to them. Incorporate a great pattern and pull the colors from there. Use varying shades of your colors to create drama in different spaces. You can have a ton of fun with color, so don't restrict yourself!
If your still stuck on what colors you want to use for your wedding, here are a couple of great tools to help inspire your color palette:
Finally, don't be afraid to ask for help! An event planner or designer can be a great resource when choosing your colors. Feel free to ask me for some recommendations!
At the end of the day your wedding will be beautiful no matter what colors your choose, so don't stress too much over it. Pick something you and your fiance love and everyone will be happy!